forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: File prefix again (Re: Cocoon CLI - how to generate the whole site)
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:24:37 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:

>> Having to interrogate the filesystem to decide a URI's scheme is a
>> total hack.
>> What happens if our docs are stored in Xindice, or anything other than a
>> filesystem?  Resource-exists is going to break.

> Hmmm, this is a good point, but not a resource-exists "conceptual"
> problem. I can test if a resource exists also in remote repositories.
> If the "file:" thing takes care different backends, there is no reason
> why a better resource-exists cannot. So seems is more about the
> deficiencies of the resource-exists implementation rather than the need
> of a site: scheme.

The way resource-exist was brought into Forrest was based on a hackish
idea. The way it works is a hack. I like the file: approach much better,
and I don't feel like I don't understand Cocoon or anything else because
of that. It's on the same level of letting the user put hints in his
documents as we currently inform people about some obscure XLink
attribute which can be set to stop crawling. At the very least, file:
will have been designed & coded by a community.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org