forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:40:08 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>Seriously: while I see some value in this verbatim inclusion of
>>external, non-XML fragments, I don't see much value in conditional
>>behaviour. It's the kind of stuff which gets thrown back in your face, IMHO.
>

> i find this position contradictory given the recent discussion
> about presentation versus semantics.  some people are going
> to want .. no, *need* to take control over some presentation-level
> aspects.  you've already gone on record as saying you don't think
> that should go into the general markup; how can i interpret
> your quoted remark above as anything other than an opinion that
> content-developers/forrest-users should have no control over presentation
> whatsoever?  maybe i'm seeing things in too few shades of grey.

Maybe. Or my opinion changes due to progressive learning.

> for example: one external fragment may be appropriate if the target
> format is equation-capable, like *roff; another is better for
> html; still a third is better for audio presentation for the
> blind.  please don't assume that a) the transformation stylesheets
> are going to make the best choices in these cases, nor that b) the
> contenr-developers have the least idea or desire to frob the
> stylesheets.

So what do you propose here? Have some element/attribute which tells iin
what rendition form the content of that element should be processed.
More like a filter:

<verbatim src="foobar.nroff" target="html"/>

will not be shown in xsl-fo/pdf output. Is it that what you are looking for?

Also, bear in mind that such inlined non-XML fragments will likely be
wrapped as an OBJECT element in HTML, and a fo:external-graphic thing in
XSL-FO, which the stylesheet needs to infer anyhow. So it's both the
document _and_ the stylesheet author at work at the same time.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org