forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:43:01 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Seriously: while I see some value in this verbatim inclusion of
> external, non-XML fragments, I don't see much value in conditional
> behaviour. It's the kind of stuff which gets thrown back in your face, IMHO.

i find this position contradictory given the recent discussion
about presentation versus semantics.  some people are going
to want .. no, *need* to take control over some presentation-level
aspects.  you've already gone on record as saying you don't think
that should go into the general markup; how can i interpret
your quoted remark above as anything other than an opinion that
content-developers/forrest-users should have no control over presentation
whatsoever?  maybe i'm seeing things in too few shades of grey.

for example: one external fragment may be appropriate if the target
format is equation-capable, like *roff; another is better for
html; still a third is better for audio presentation for the
blind.  please don't assume that a) the transformation stylesheets
are going to make the best choices in these cases, nor that b) the
contenr-developers have the least idea or desire to frob the
stylesheets.

give 'em rope.