forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:06:16 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>Would characters in the inserted non-XML fragment need to be escaped
>>upon rendition - &lt; &amp; ... ?

which means you won't use them for source code samples if I'm correct:
in Moz1.2, the following sample only shows the letter 'A':

   <head>
     <title>foobar</title>
   </head>
     <pre>A<b
1&2=3</pre>

> on my first pass, i'd say 'no'.  this is a moderately advanced operation;
> anyone using it should bear the responsibility of making the inclusion
> safe.  for future work, having an option to do it either way would
> be excellent rope to braid.

If this is for including possibly unsafe content, I would make escaping
part of the system instead of putting in the hands of the user. I see
Eliotte makes use of XInclude for that purpose - look at the source of
http://www.cafeconleche.org/slides/sd2002east/xmlfundamentals/08.html

> does forrest support any sort of conditional-on-output mechanism?
> like <if target="html"> .. </if>?

Nope. This is hidden in the sitemap/stylesheets.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org