forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:20:25 GMT

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> "Peter B. West" wrote:
>
>>I doubt that I am the only one who will need to accommodate legacy html.
>
> it's not just 'legacy html' -- it's 'i need to include something that
> forrest didn't generate' and sometimes even 'i need to include a file
> with the same extension as one forrest knows how to make, but have mine
> included verbatim rather than forrest bitching because it can't find the
> source.'  for example, pre-built pdf files that need to be included, but not
> built by forrest.

I see the need, and my proposal was in this direction.
Tha means that first thing Forrest should do is to see if the file is
there verbatim and use that, else see if it can generate it.

Current Forrest tried to do it, but it ends up in fu**ing up the links,
and this needs to be corrected. Not rocket science, but it needs to be done.

ATM, our discussion is not about including a single file verbatim, but
about whole directories. Cocoon makes the static site by crawling, and
sometimes this is not the best solution.

These problems affect only the crawler of the Cocoon CLI, and this means
IMHO that the problem is basically there. Try referencing the "static"
file from the webapp, and it will be served; try using the CLI, and it
won't. *This* is what should be fixed, we don't necessarily need new
semantics to define links to solve this problem.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -