forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] DTD Versioning (Re: Should href be required on link)
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 08:02:10 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Seems the only safe solution is to create a new DTD (and public
> identifier) for each DTD version.  This isn't as horrible as it sounds..

Trying to fix the link element, I was thinking to do:

catalog:
PUBLIC "-//APACHE//ENTITIES Documentation V1.1//EN"

"http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/schema/dtd/document-v11.mod?rev=1.7"

PUBLIC "-//APACHE//ENTITIES Documentation V1.1.1//EN"
        "dtd/document-v11.1.mod"

and cvs removing document-v11.mod. Or is that too drastic? This is only
one little part of the solution however, since each DTD referencing
document.mod should be changed. You see why they prefer to emerge with
an entire set.

Which means if we change a global element in document.mod, as I just did
for that link thing, we need to change references to this .mod in all
wrapper DTDs. Ouch.

While doing this, I would imagine we better first move some elements
from document.mod to common-elems.mod

Before that however, we should list what element & attribute
declarations should belong where:

1) wrapper or driver files:
document.dtd
howto.dtd (is more than only a driver)
faq.dtd
todo.dtd

2) structure:
document.mod
faq.mod
todo.mod

3) common declarations:
common-charents.mod
common-elems.mod

Now I know why I didn't dare to touch them :-|

But the itch is gradually becoming unbearable. If we don't clean up the
mess, we'll never get to properly manage our DTDs. I'll do some more
thinking.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org