forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Cocoon CLI - how to generate the whole site (Re: The Mythical Javadoc generator (Re: Conflict resolution))
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:31:59 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:

> The javadocs are _already_ generated, and <javadoc> has already put them
> in build/site/apidocs/.  Now how is Cocoon (via the CLI) going to
> "publish" them?

Ok, now we finally get to the actual technical point. I will take this
discussion in a general way, because the issue is in fact quite general.

                               -oOo-

ATM, the Cocoon CLI system is completely crawler based. This means that
it starts from a list of URLs, and "crawles" the site by getting the
links from these pages, putting them in the list, purging the visited
ones, and restrting the process with those.

If we only have XML documents, the system can be made to be very fast
and semantically rich.

   - fast
    if we get the links while processing the file, we don't
    have to reparse it later for the crawling

   - semantically rich
     we get the links not from the output, but from the real source.
     In the sitemap, the source content, with all semantics, is
     tagged and used for the link gathering. So we can even gather
     links from an svg file that will become a jpeg image!

Things start breaking a bit down when we have to use resources that are
not transformed to XML. Examples are CSS and massive docs to be included
like javadocs.

The problem is not *reading* this files via Cocoon, but getting the
links from them. In the case of CSS we need the links, in case of
Javadocs, we know the dir structure and eventually would not need them.

For the CSS, the best thing is actually parsing them and passing them in
the SAX pipeline. I see no technical nor conceptual problem with it.

The problem arises when we need to pass files in "bulk". In this case
they are javadocs, but what about jars, binaries, images, all things
that are not necessarily linked in the site, or that we simply want to
dump in the resulting system?

This is the answer that I seek.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -