forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Sitemap woes and semantic linking
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:57:32 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andrew Savory wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Jeff Turner wrote:
>>

>>> Forget this idea that httpd is optional.  Put it right in the centre,
>>> use it for URI management and static resource handling, and delegate to
>>> Cocoon only the things Cocoon is good at handling.
>>

>> I can see the sense in that ... although it does assume that
>> everything is
>> going to be coming and going via HTTP. But as I can't think of any sane
>> alternatives, that seems reasonable ;-)
>

> IMO this should be transparent to the container(s) and not compulsory.
> I should not *rely* on this, but could use it if I wanted to get a speed
> boost.

This is a cocoon-related discussion, but anyway, at ApacheCON I talked
*extensively* with the mod_proxy people and they told me that mod_cache
that ships with 2.0 is perfectly able to do exactly what we ask for:
avoid processing requests that don't belong to Cocoon.

So, there is *some* truth in saying that map:read is a hack (I don't
think it is, see the ImageReader I wrote, for an example of an
not-so-trivial use of the concept), but the use of a transparent cache
up front and the use of HTTPd 2.0 filtered I/O allows us to

  1) keep the URI-space control in one location
  2) gain lightspeed native performance (thru native up-front caching)
  3) gain distributed cachign (with proxy-friendly cocoon-generated HTTP
headers)

And I see *no lack of elegance* in such a solution, which is also very
fiendly in respect of the various politial frictions that happen to
exist between java and C worlds (and something that, unfortunately, we
have to deal with!)