forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Conflict resolution (Re: URI spaces: source, processing, result)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:52:28 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> 2) Want to withdraw your -1 and trust that The World According to Jeff is
>> not a dystopian nightmare of mixed concerns.
>

> While Jeff still should prove his world using running code, I do trust
> him: he has proven in the past that he is able to live up the
> expectations he created himself. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do the
> discussion. But we should make it a discussion as Jeff says:

I want it to be a discussion, and want to come to a solution.
What I don't want is just to get round issues instead of tackling them.

> If I see 'SoC breakage', I want it to be defined. It is too much of a
> vague term. We should all trust our own bellies, but not each belly is
> equal. So let's please don't use SoC, IoC and FS without explaining what
> problems we will encounter. And I hope we try to be as openminded as
> possible, while keeping F. Brooks in mind: there is NO silver bullet.
> Not even Cocoon.

As I have already written, it's about separating the link resolving via
a linkmap, form deciding where the source is, from applying the correct
generation.

Let me try to explain it again:

Concern 1 : links
-------------------

  href="linkmap:my/site/home"  -(lookup)->   href="http://www.home.it/"
  href="javadocs:MyClass"      -(resolve)->  href="javadocs/MyClass"

Concern 2 : source finding
---------------------------

  href="javadocs/MyClass"  -(sitemap)-> src="../../javadocs/MyClass"

Concern 3 : Sitemap selection

  src="../../javadocs/MyClass"  -(CAP)-> execute ReaderPipeline

> I hate seeing Ant becoming part of the Forrest equation, because it will
> break webapps. At the same time, I have had this REALLY BIG argument
> about external resources in the office that much, that I'm pretty sure
> we can't fit everything underneath Cocoon.

Everything must be underneath Cocoon, or we have a hybrid we cannot
easily control. What can't Cocoon do? CLI has problems with crawling?
then let's fix that.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -