forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Conflict resolution (Re: URI spaces: source, processing, result)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:23:22 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> 2) Want to withdraw your -1 and trust that The World According to Jeff is
> not a dystopian nightmare of mixed concerns.

While Jeff still should prove his world using running code, I do trust
him: he has proven in the past that he is able to live up the
expectations he created himself. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do the
discussion. But we should make it a discussion as Jeff says:

If I see 'SoC breakage', I want it to be defined. It is too much of a
vague term. We should all trust our own bellies, but not each belly is
equal. So let's please don't use SoC, IoC and FS without explaining what
problems we will encounter. And I hope we try to be as openminded as
possible, while keeping F. Brooks in mind: there is NO silver bullet.
Not even Cocoon.

I hate seeing Ant becoming part of the Forrest equation, because it will
break webapps. At the same time, I have had this REALLY BIG argument
about external resources in the office that much, that I'm pretty sure
we can't fit everything underneath Cocoon.

We shouldn't forget the sitemap is a pattern specification language,
similar to XSLT. I'm not a CS grad at all, but I'm pretty sure there
exists no immediate, direct relationship between a URI space (a
collection of URIs) and a sitemap configured as a reactor for that
'incoming namespace'. So we might need something new for that.

No 'trust' thing here too, please, let's leave that to other mailing
lists. And no opinions, feelings or judgement that aren't backed by
code. I have seen quite some FUD lately on various Apache mailing lists,
some of it based on eloquence and position rather than on facts (that
was quite an eloquent sentence if I may say so ;-)

Or was this FUD? Dunnow.

</Steven>

ps: I'll be off-list from 17/Dec until Christmas. 'The back' needs
surgery. No Wi-Fi access in hospitals, I gues ;-)
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org