forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: file: implemented (Re: cvs commit: ...)
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:01:19 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> We must also remember that our goal is also not to copy anything but
> to have it processed by Cocoon in a "natural" manner.

Cocoon is based on streaming SAX events across a pipeline, selected by a
switchboard named 'sitemap' based on the request environment. Even a
map:reader can be considered a hack in that respect, still it isn't
regarded as such, since not everything in the world is SAXable.

Jeff is demonstrating to us that Cocoon _has_ certain areas where it can
be difficult to apply, just as we tried to do with CAPs. There has
been quite violent disagreement about the idea of content-aware
pipelines a long time ago. Now however, it is proposed as being a
solution for this particular problem. So opinions might change over the
time. Mind you however that the current SourceTypeAction is based on XML
& SAX, and would not help for 'binary' documents.

I prefer proper work to be done on specific Cocoon components to solve
this problem and to get rid of the ugly XSLT hack, and not try to fit it
into the existing way of thinking, which will make the sitemap overly
complex, and doing wizardry stuff an end-user will not understand. It's
sometimes better to let the user decide (explicitizing a 'scheme') so
that he knows what he will get, than to expose behaviour which is not
obvious at first sight.

Trying to fit the linking/rendition (copying) of non-XML resources into
the process configuration model of an XML-based system (the sitemap)
seems like the ultimate hack to me. We better have this done in parallel
using a SWT/copying-component as Jeff is suggesting, IMHO.

(wow - I should forward this to Sylvain: it must be the first time I
make favourable comments on the SWT/writeable sources ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org