forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding protocols to links
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:00:04 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

>> The DTD currently has a 'role' attribute, but if that is intended to
>> match the XLink meaning then it's not suitable:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-semantics
>>
>> I think if hrefs are meant to specify URIs, then 'scheme' is the best way
>> of describing this info.
>>

> which would open up an argument maybe for our own semantics of a
> scheme="" attribute?
>
> but with minor advantage, I admit...

The semantics of XLink is screwed anyway and nobody uses it as they should.

BTW, Jeff, don't want to be a pain in the ass, but I would suggest that
we move from a URI-based link estimation to an attribute based one. I
don't care what attribute and what namespace, but I'm concerned about
the fact that this solution is not future-compatible, say, for example,
if I have URIs that already contain a protocol, what do I do?