forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Adding protocols to links
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:14:31 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:00:41PM +0100, Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
>>I haven't done much thinking about linking yet, just some quick
>>remarks...
>>
>>On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:59, Jeff Turner wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>For Forrest, the implied protocol in relative hrefs is 'cocoon:'.  So
>>><link href="mypdf.pdf"> actually means <link href="cocoon:mypdf.pdf">.
>>
>>Nitpicking: I think the implied protocol is rather 'http:' (or 'cli:').
>>
>>For the rest the idea looks good at first sight, though I have some
>>doubts about (mis)using the protocol for this (or perhaps mainly with
>>naming it protocol, something like namespace or linkspace would seem
>>more correct).
>

> Yes, 'protocol' is a bad name.  I used it because Cocoon uses it, but
> Cocoon shouldn't either because there is no real _protocol_ involved.
> The URI RFC uses the word "scheme" to indicate the syntactic convention
> used in the rest of the URI.
>
>   "Just as there are many different methods of access to resources, there
>   are a variety of schemes for identifying such resources."
>    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
>
> So the scheme 'http' usually results in the protocol HTTP being used.
>

>>Another option would be to add a seperate attribute for
>>this on the link tag, though that could be more awkward to use.
>

> The DTD currently has a 'role' attribute, but if that is intended to
> match the XLink meaning then it's not suitable:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-semantics
>
> I think if hrefs are meant to specify URIs, then 'scheme' is the best way
> of describing this info.

which would open up an argument maybe for our own semantics of a
scheme="" attribute?

but with minor advantage, I admit...

-marc=
PS: the CAP and resrouce-exist memory was at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103098037820939&w=2

I'm still reading the rest of the thread to find some actual
conclusion from that discussion :-(