forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Apache Trove
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:29:47 GMT
Hi all,

due to the recent and upcoming reorgs in terms of the
'federation'/project/subproject structure and the assumed increased
difficulty for people finding their way around ASF projects, I have been
playing around with a draft 'trove' application, which isn't much more
than some XML & XSLT glued together, running on top of Cocoon.

http://cocoon.cocoondev.org/mount/trove/ (warning: data entry hasn't
been completed yet)

This 'app' runs on top of a very free-formed XML document currently:

<trove>
   <federation name="XML">
     <keyword name="XML"/>
     <site uri="http://xml.apache.org/"/>
     <description>[...]</description>
     <project name="FOP">
       <keyword name="XSL-FO"/>
       <keyword name="Java"/>
       <site uri="http://xml.apache.org/fop/"/>
     </project>
   </federation>
   <project name="BCEL">
     <site uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/bcel/"/>
     <description>[...]</description>
     <federation name="Jakarta"/>
     <keyword name="Java"/>
   </project>

   [...]

and should be maintained by the respective project communities. I
already went searching what Gump could offer me in terms of available
data, but Gump is for obvious reasons limited to Jakarta and XML (Java)
projects. Adding the Gump people to add a 'keyword' element to their
descriptors wouldn't cause too much harm, but the problem is that I also
store the project hierarchy in my data file, and this is slightly
orthogonal to Gump's structure. So adding extra data to Gump's
descriptors would help, but not enough and not for everybody (including
perl/php/...)

Another approach might be to store a small trove file per project in the
committers cvs module, where assumably everybody has access too, and me
aggregating those.

The (XML) structure being required would be something like:

<project name="">
   <site uri=""/>
   <description></description>
   <keyword name=""/>
   (<federation name=""/>)
</project>

Projects can contain projects, and can be grouped into 'federations',
aka httpd, xml, jakarta and others. I tried to set up the stylesheets to
do something meaningful without many strict requirements on the
hierarchy of the datafile.

Anyway, this is just a heads-up. I don't know where I could move it too
since it falls a bit in-between projects. The presentation is by no
means finished, but should be easy to tweak. I can nurture this thing on
my own on my own server, but if other people would be interested in
playing along, just gimme a yell.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org