forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <>
Subject Re: Krysalis skin CSS images are not being crawled
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 00:15:24 GMT
> A barebones parser, sure.  An entire browser?  To grab CSS elements,
> what more is needed besides the identification of the following:
>  @import
>  background:
>  background-image:
>  "//" and "/* */"

I could add one from the 'as-designed' outerthought-site skin:
   li {
     list-style-image: url(art/bullet_arrow_list.gif)

the remark on the 'entire browser' pretty much comes from
thinking about user defined skins that would exploit image
roll-overs in javascript and the like (for which there is rhino,
of course)

so 'entire browser' is more like the 'most-general-and-complete'
wording for anything people would like to see happen through the
design of their HTML, css, js...

but I take your argument: it should be narrowed down to only that
subset which triggers another HTTP-request from the browser, so
we can just add that to the list of links to crawl?

I guess starting from a 'java browser implementation (without
rendering) that allows for some sort of CrawlerListener' would be
preferred over assembling that very thing with Sac, rhino,...

Marc Portier