forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@geekspeak.org>
Subject Re: Krysalis skin CSS images are not being crawled
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:18:27 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Hm... I have been discussing this in the office already several times,
> and most of the time we come up with the conclusion that doing it good
> would require implementing an entire browser without a rendering
> subsystem :(

A barebones parser, sure.  An entire browser?  To grab CSS elements,
what more is needed besides the identification of the following:

  @import
  background:
  background-image:
  "//" and "/* */"

The important information is images and CSS files, no?  Everything else
is noise to the parser.  Who cares if the parser misread "color: red;"?
 Comments could be important for skipping items, but even this is
optional.  What's the worse thing that happens?  If an element is
commented out, the image it specifies is copied anyway.  Isn't it
possible to make the assumption that the CSS is correct -- something a
browser cannot do -- since we make the assumption that someone previewed
the CSS in a browser before submitting for generation?

Unlike a browser, it need not know what type of resource it is, its MIME
type, where on the page it goes, how big it is, etc.  Isn't "an entire
browser without a rendering subsystem" overstating things just a tad?

- Miles