forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrestbot live!
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 18:26:48 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steven and I have put together a little webapp interface to the
> forrestbot:
>
> http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/
>
> The webapp allows you to preview multiple Forrest-built websites.  Both
> the sites and Forrest are the latest from CVS, providing a Gump-like
> catch-bad-things-early capability.
>
> Sites can be regenerated by:
>  - logging in as username forrest-dev, password forrest-dev
>  - choosing a site from the drop-down list and clicking 'refresh'
>  - click on the 'View progress' link that appears
>
> You will then get a clunky META-refreshed view of the forrestbot log file
> to indicate rebuild progress.
>
> Eventually there will also be an 'upload' button, which checks the
> generated HTML into xml-site/targets/forrest.  However the security is
> not up to scratch (need pull-based update, not push) so it is disabled
> for the forrest-dev user.  Once it is there, we'll have a proper
> review-then-commit staging server of the kind Robert advocates.. :)
>

> Currently, the following sites are hosted:
>
> xml-forrest
> xml-forrest-template
> xml-site
> incubator-site
> xml-xindice
> xml-fop
>
> If there are any other (non-ASF) projects that would like to be added,
> please let me or the list know.  If you have invested lots of effort in a
> Forrest site, don't mind it being publicly viewable, and are rightfully
> worried we'll unintentionally break backwards-compat :-) please sign up,
> and breakages can be corrected as soon as they occur.
>

> I will check in the webapp and script sources tomorrow, so people can
> marvel at my model-1, scriptlets-everywhere JSP skillz :) and hopefully
> improve things.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Dudes, I've been dreaming to see something like that happening for
Apache since *ages* ago. This very thing was the reason Cocoon was
created. And when Cocoon became more than I planned, I wanted Forrest so
that it could continue in that direction.

I'm *so* glad this Forrest community is so active and healthy, even
without much of my direct contribution.

And I'm *so* glad things are moving.

Oh, one simple suggestion: why don't we call the 'forrestbot' something
else? The reason for this is that we might want to extend the system to
have Maven into the picture and having 'forrestbot' as a name would
irritate people.

We don't have to do it right now, but it's food for thought.

Anyway, great job!