forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Getting off of Stylebook
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:52:35 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:43:15PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
> [snip <link idref="..."> errors]
>>>Yes :/  Forrest is quite far behind Stylebook.  Link idrefs would have to
>>>be converted to page refs with #anchors.
>>Is this something that will be added?
> Eventually, but I don't know how.  This "link to another node" problem is
> related to our Problem #1, linking to externally generated stuff like
> Javadocs.  Ideally, the solution should be general enough to solve both
> probs.

I agree, it will be addressed. Suggestions on how to do it are highly
welcome; Jeff, would you mind relinking us to the past proposals on this

>>>Forrest has a book DTD, slightly less fancy than the Stylebook one.
>>Again the issue seems to be links
>>>status.xml is quite similar to releases.xml, but we don't have a DTD for
>>>it.  status.xml gets rendered to
>>It looks like there's a DTD for changes -- could we add an optional
>>description element as a child of a release element?  That way you can
>>have release specific notes before the list of all the actions, so
>>people don't have to go looking at all the little changes.
> Sounds good. How would this relate to real release notes?
> Forrest currently does not have a DTD for status.xml, and is privately
> (not pushed on users) experimenting with using status.xml to record
> 'issues', to better emulate a traditional Apache STATUS file.

And eventually make a text-version of it, since many users find the xml
not so cool to hand-edit (I agree).

>>>settings.dtd looks quite Xerces-specific, but adding project-specific DTDs
>>>stylesheets is fairly easy in Forrest.
>>Can you point me to the right documentation to read for how to do this?
> The "Adding new content type" section of "Using Forrest":
> I also posted a ready-to-run example of a project using a custom doc type
> and stylesheet:

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -