forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Pietschmann <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Entities in XML docs
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:23:01 GMT
On Monday 30 December 2002 04:07, you wrote:
> JClark's RNG validator works as a SAX filter
Good news!

> Still, the issue is: do we *really* want to maintain the structure of
> our documents in both DTDs and RNGs at the same time?
The issue is: Can you get away with dumping DTDs and forcing
RNG on everyone? If there is enough documentation which tells
users where to get command line RNG validators and how to plug
them into various authoring environments, then why not? Well,
the industry went for XSD (prematurely, I'm about to think), so it
may be wise to cater for XSD for a while too...

> > An easy implementation doesn't mean there are no problems.
[Notes and answers snipped]
Amazing how much your thoughts diverged from Jeff's.

> It's scary to see that the only people that actually *get it* are those
> who are not seating in an expert group.
I've been in two standardization commissions. Its no fun at all.
It is already bad if there are managers throwing around the market
power of the organisations they represent, but experts are even worse:
everybody (including me) has his (never seen a woman there :) pet
mechanism/architecture/syntax, nurtured for half a professional life,
which *must* get into the standard for the benefit of mankind,
regardless of other losses.

It seems odd that there are occasionally standards which are good
right from the start, like SCSI or XSLT/XPath 1.0. Even more odd
that SCSI didn't run into the "second system syndrome" (XPath 2.0
probably will).

J.Pietschmann