forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Entities in XML docs
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:52:21 GMT
On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 03:13:45PM +0100, Joerg Pietschmann wrote:
> On Friday 27 December 2002 14:43, you wrote:
> > 3.2) We implement a SearchReplaceTransformer, which replaces ${variables}
> > with values.  Eg, entities.xml:
> Ouw!
>
> > Are there any more options I haven't thought of?
> It might be more robust to stick with XML elements, even
> though they are more verbose:
>  <nn:replace name="variables"/>

It has the same problems as <xi:include>, ie requires editing DTDs so
that nn:replace is recognized.

> instead of ${variables}
> You avoid quoting some issues, think of the poor guys writing
> Ant code samples:
>  <code>&gtfile-set base="${some-file-set}"/></code>
> What will they get?

I'd imagine that if no 'some-file-set' variable is found, the variable
ref wouldn't be substituted, and the user would get an unmodified
'${some-file-set}'.  Using Stefano's ${pfx:name} syntax reduces the
chance of unexpected name collisions a fair bit, as we can check the
'pfx' before substituting.

--Jeff