forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: File prefix again (Re: Cocoon CLI - how to generate the whole site)
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:32:10 GMT
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:52:34PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:

> >>I don't agree here. The user creates documents to explain a concept.
> >>"index" means it's the index.
> >
> >Since when do semantics come into the business of ensuring every source
> >has a URI?
>
> A source is a piece of information. The name is a token that identifies
> that piece of information.

Identification has absolutely zippo to do with meaning.  I can create
good URIs and I can create bad URIs.  Forrest should allow both, but
discourage the latter.

> It is placed in a context that is also named (directory). Where you
> place it has a sense -> semantics. The path is a moniker to what the
> piece of information *means*.
>
> >Fact: users _can_ create an index.pdf.  Whether this is a good idea is
> >irrelevant: as a source of content, it deserves a source URI.
>
> I'd say that from the discussion it comes out that users should not be
> allowed to do it, and a check done as part of the validation, to ensure
> that double-named files are not there.
>
> >We can
> >then say, "by the way, it's really dumb creating index.pdf when you've
> >got index.xml", but that's a layer above the raw URI space addressing
> >issue.
>
> Not IMHO. Since we decided to link to "concepts", we have actually IMHO
> decided that it's the filename that identifies the file, without the
> extension.

That does not follow at all.  *Only* URIs starting with 'linkmap:' are
semantic URIs.  A linkmap is a maps from semantic addresses to source
filenames.  Let's say we have the following linkmap:

<site>
  <welcome src="index.xml"/>
  <product_catalog src="index.pdf"/>
</site>

A contrived example: imagine I have a product cataloging tool that
insists on naming its output 'index.pdf'.  With the above linkmap, I have
mapped two different concepts to two different sources.  Who cares if the
filenames are similar?

--Jeff