forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: File prefix again (Re: Cocoon CLI - how to generate the whole site)
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:17:40 GMT
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 03:23:03PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >Firstly: do you agree that there _are_ two Sources?  That the user
> >_could_ create an index.pdf?  In fact, considering that the user isn't
> >meant to know that index.xml even *has* a PDF rendition, why shouldn't
> >they create an index.pdf?
>
> I don't agree here. The user creates documents to explain a concept.
> "index" means it's the index.

Since when do semantics come into the business of ensuring every source
has a URI?

Fact: users _can_ create an index.pdf.  Whether this is a good idea is
irrelevant: as a source of content, it deserves a source URI.  We can
then say, "by the way, it's really dumb creating index.pdf when you've
got index.xml", but that's a layer above the raw URI space addressing
issue.

Popping the argument stack a bit, remember that this whole silly example
of index.xml/index.pdf is a pathological case, that won't have the
desired effect no matter what the URI is.  You have ignored my main
argument, that the 'cocoon:' prefix is implicit and _conceptually_ a
file: scheme is required.

--Jeff