forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: File prefix again (Re: Cocoon CLI - how to generate the whole site)
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 04:54:25 GMT
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 04:30:47PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >The way it works is a hack. I like the file: approach much better,
>
> Why?
>
> I'm a user. I take a file. Put it in the directory. Link to it. See it
> in the result.
>
> What do you not like of this? Why is it better if I write the link with
> file: in it?

You are perfectly right, this _should_ be how it works.  It is simple and
intuitive.

But think about it: when you said "I take a file. Put it in the
directory. Link to it.", you're admitting that you're linking to the
_Source_ URI.  Which is good, because you shouldn't be relying on the
destination location.  But unfortunately, unprefixed links have a
'cocoon:' scheme, so <link href="index.pdf"> will not link to
src/documentation/content/index.pdf.  That is why we need this file:
prefix.

--Jeff