forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 05:51:27 GMT
On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 06:43:01PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
> >
> > Seriously: while I see some value in this verbatim inclusion of
> > external, non-XML fragments, I don't see much value in conditional
> > behaviour. It's the kind of stuff which gets thrown back in your face, IMHO.
>
> i find this position contradictory given the recent discussion
> about presentation versus semantics.  some people are going
> to want .. no, *need* to take control over some presentation-level
> aspects.  you've already gone on record as saying you don't think
> that should go into the general markup; how can i interpret
> your quoted remark above as anything other than an opinion that
> content-developers/forrest-users should have no control over presentation
> whatsoever?  maybe i'm seeing things in too few shades of grey.
>
> for example: one external fragment may be appropriate if the target
> format is equation-capable, like *roff; another is better for
> html; still a third is better for audio presentation for the
> blind.  please don't assume that a) the transformation stylesheets
> are going to make the best choices in these cases, nor that b) the
> contenr-developers have the least idea or desire to frob the
> stylesheets.
>
> give 'em rope.

I think we should:
 - first work out how to solve the problem
 - THEN worry about whether the solution ends up in Forrest's core.

We could establish a contrib/ directory for non-mainstream setups.  I
have a few to contribute.

Soo..

There were two separate proposals on this thread:

a) A mechanism for including raw content in the output:

<pre>
<include-verbatim src="sample.raw"/>
</pre>

If sample.raw is XML, I'd use the XIncludeTransformer.  If it isn't, I'd
use an entity:

<!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.1//EN"
  "document-v11.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY raw-content SYSTEM "sample.raw">
]>
<document>
          &raw-content;
</document>

Non-XML characters in sample.raw can be escaped with <![CDATA[&raw-content;]]>

Would that solve the problem?

b) Conditional inclusion of a section depending on output type:

<if target="html"> .. </if>

Seems fairly straightforward to add to the DTD, and exclude from the
copy-everything template in the stylesheet.  I can make an example if you like.
To become part of Forrest would require some solid use-cases though.

--Jeff