forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including legacy html
Date Sun, 15 Dec 2002 06:05:55 GMT
On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 03:38:51PM +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
> Forrest-devs,
>
> Is it possible to include legacy html in a forrest-generated site?

Not currently.  There is a patch which supports this via a file: scheme,
eg <link href="file:generated-code.html"> would link to that static file
in src/documentation/content.  The patch was -1'ed and we're still
arguing about it.  If you really need it, run 'cvs update -r
with_file_scheme' in xml-forrest/

> I cannot see a way, so I would appreaciate some advice.  My particular
> requirement is to be able to include XE/e/macs htmlized code, or
> fragments thereof, in generated code.  The ideal would be to be able to
> insert chunks directly in the generated pages, but I realise that this
> is probably asking too much.

I'm sure it could be done, but not AFAIK with off-the-shelf code.

> As a fall-back, the ability to correctly refer to complete html pages
> in, say <jump/> elements would suffice.  I am thinking of having such
> pages, or subtrees of pages, in the resources directory under
> src/documentation.
>
> I doubt that I am the only one who will need to accommodate legacy html.

_Plenty_ of people want to link to all sorts of static docs.. HTML, PDFs,
zips, etc. It's the biggest problem in Forrest today.

> The attempts I have made include hacking the build.xml to copy html
> subdirs into the context directory, have failed. because the link
> resolution fails and I get an error page in place of the original.
>
> Is there some Q&D way to do this?

Apparently, adding xlink:role="dynamic" to the link will stop the crawler
from breaking on the link.  Then the file(s) could be copied over by an
Ant task.

--Jeff