forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject The Mythical Javadoc generator (Re: Conflict resolution)
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:50:11 GMT
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:49:03PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Everything must be underneath Cocoon, or we have a hybrid we cannot
> >>easily control. What can't Cocoon do?
> >
> >Cocoon can't generate Javadocs, which is inherently a batch-processing
> >job.
>
> It can, it just needs a javadoc Generator.
> Give it a start dir, and it will generate a listing with the dir
> Generator, generate all javadocs there, and get on by crawling the
> directory links.

That is impossible.  Generating Javadocs is, as I said, "inherently a
batch-processing job".  Javadoc pages are highly hyperlinked, and the
Javadoc tool needs to have _everything_ loaded into memory, so it can
work out whether to write out, say, 'org.apache.foo.MyClass' or '<a
href="MyClass.html">MyClass</a>'.

Besides which, how long do you think it would take for Cocoon to invoke
Javadoc once for every single source file?

Cocoon is a doc generating tool.  Javadoc is a doc generating tool.  One
renders XML, the other renders Java files.  Trying to invoke one from the
other is... how do I put it politely... um, I'd better not even try :)

--Jeff