forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Conflict resolution (Re: URI spaces: source, processing, result)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:45:35 GMT
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:52:28PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> As I have already written, it's about separating the link resolving via
> a linkmap, form deciding where the source is, from applying the correct
> generation.
>
> Let me try to explain it again:

This time making much more sense.  An example is worth a thousand words
of theory.

> Concern 1 : links
> -------------------
>
>  href="linkmap:my/site/home"  -(lookup)->   href="http://www.home.it/"
>  href="javadocs:MyClass"      -(resolve)->  href="javadocs/MyClass"

So, a scheme is just an elaborate alias for a path, right?

> Concern 2 : source finding
> ---------------------------
>
>  href="javadocs/MyClass"  -(sitemap)-> src="../../javadocs/MyClass"

I gather this is where the resourcemap is used.  Can you give a sitemap
snippet to illustrate how this fits in with the bit below?

> Concern 3 : Sitemap selection
> ------------------------------
>
>  src="../../javadocs/MyClass"  -(CAP)-> execute ReaderPipeline

And what would be the output of this pipeline?  A single Javadoc HTML
file?  What about the rest?

> >I hate seeing Ant becoming part of the Forrest equation, because it will
> >break webapps. At the same time, I have had this REALLY BIG argument
> >about external resources in the office that much, that I'm pretty sure
> >we can't fit everything underneath Cocoon.
>
> Everything must be underneath Cocoon, or we have a hybrid we cannot
> easily control. What can't Cocoon do?

Cocoon can't generate Javadocs, which is inherently a batch-processing
job.  The best Cocoon can do is pass through untransformed HTML.  Fine
for webapps, useless for CLI generation.

--Jeff