forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: file: implemented (Re: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:53:53 GMT
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 12:13:06AM -0800, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> ><rant>
> >The CLI is evil and should have been drowned at birth.  The Cocoon CLI
> >can best be described as a crappy 'wget' implementation tacked onto the
> >side of Cocoon.  It is slow as hell, full of bugs (eg css images) and
> >practically unmaintained.  Rewriting wget in a corner of Cocoon was a
> >blindingly stupid thing to do, and I am not about to waste my time fixing
> >its bugs.  I would rather find a _real_ wget implementation in Java, that
> >can handle CSS and doesn't do screwy things with filenames, and IF
> >invoking Cocoon through the HTTP interface proves too slow (unlikely),
> >then I'd wrap Cocoon in an Avalon block and feed it URLs passed over RMI.
> ></rant>
>
> Jeff, tell me, are you aware of how *exactly* the Cocoon CLI works?

No.  <rant> should be <uninformed rant>.

Still, can you tell my why Cocoon + lightweight HTTP server + a threaded
crawler like:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/lucene-sandbox/larm/overview.html

won't be a zillion times faster?  And have a healthier user community,
because it is sufficiently general to interest multiple parties.

--Jeff