forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrestbot live!
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 16:17:48 GMT
On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:35:06PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> I like this Forrestbot, it's basically a better version of AntGump.
> Given the generality of the tool, and given that other times on this
> list it has been decided not to "pollute" our mission of site
> generation, what is the relationship with Gump?
>
> In other words, would it make sense to you all to make this part of the
> Gump codebase?

Depends what you mean by 'this'.

Forrestbot itself is is pretty crufty and horrible, because it tries to
reuse forrest.build.xml while trying to avoid inconvenient inter-target
dependencies.  That causes bugs like the skin being ignored.

The webapp is almost completely detached from forrestbot.  It could drive
any command-line tool that operates on a project (ant, maven, centipede,
checkstyle?, gump?).  If you can find some other tool to put behind the
webapp, then it makes sense to a) remove 'forrestbot' from the webapp
title, as Stefano suggests, b) move it somewhere neutral like Alexandria.

--Jeff