forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting off of Stylebook
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:24:46 GMT
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 02:43:15PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
[snip <link idref="..."> errors]
> > > It looks to me like the forrest dtd's don't support some referencing
> > > features that Stylebook has.
> >
> > Yes :/  Forrest is quite far behind Stylebook.  Link idrefs would have to
> > be converted to page refs with #anchors.
>
> Is this something that will be added?

Eventually, but I don't know how.  This "link to another node" problem is
related to our Problem #1, linking to externally generated stuff like
Javadocs.  Ideally, the solution should be general enough to solve both
probs.

> > > Also, does Forrest have doctypes corresponding to Xerces' releases.dtd,
> > > settings.dtd and book.dtd?
> >
> > Forrest has a book DTD, slightly less fancy than the Stylebook one.
>
> Again the issue seems to be links
>
> > status.xml is quite similar to releases.xml, but we don't have a DTD for
> > it.  status.xml gets rendered to
> > http://xml.apache.org/forrest/changes.html
>
> It looks like there's a DTD for changes -- could we add an optional
> description element as a child of a release element?  That way you can
> have release specific notes before the list of all the actions, so
> people don't have to go looking at all the little changes.

Sounds good. How would this relate to real release notes?

Forrest currently does not have a DTD for status.xml, and is privately
(not pushed on users) experimenting with using status.xml to record
'issues', to better emulate a traditional Apache STATUS file.

> > settings.dtd looks quite Xerces-specific, but adding project-specific DTDs
> +
> > stylesheets is fairly easy in Forrest.
>
> Can you point me to the right documentation to read for how to do this?

The "Adding new content type" section of "Using Forrest":

http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html#N10189

I also posted a ready-to-run example of a project using a custom doc type
and stylesheet:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103786870103314&w=2

--Jeff