forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: file: implemented (Re: cvs commit: ...)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:44:18 GMT
On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 10:01, Steven Noels wrote:
[...]
> Jeff is demonstrating to us that Cocoon _has_ certain areas where it can
> be difficult to apply, just as we tried to do with CAPs. There has
> been quite violent disagreement about the idea of content-aware
> pipelines a long time ago. Now however, it is proposed as being a
> solution for this particular problem.

Hmmm, I'm probably nitpicking again, but I think we should stop calling
CAP CAP, since the current solution isn't CAP. What I understand as CAP
is some kind of selector that sits in the SAX-pipeline and chooses
another pipeline based on the content of the SAX-events. There's still
violent disagreement about content-aware pipelines, since they were
rejected from Cocoon.

The current SourceTypeAction is just an action that assigns a type to a
file based on metadata of the file. This metadata happens to be in the
file itself, but that doesn't change a thing. The pipeline is selected
based on metadata about the file, not based on the content of the file.
Thus it is not at all that much different from selecting a pipeline
based on file-extensions.

>  So opinions might change over the
> time. Mind you however that the current SourceTypeAction is based on XML
> & SAX, and would not help for 'binary' documents.

Not based on SAX, but on pull-parsing.

bruno@outerthought.org