forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Vaterlaus <mvaterl...@mus.ch>
Subject Re: New CSS mockup -- Mac IE 5.x friendly
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:44:50 GMT
>Markus Vaterlaus wrote:
>
>>  attached you'll find some screenshots taken here witrh Mac OS X and
>>  different browsers. If you need anything else, plz let me know.
>
>Thanks.  I'm going to look at some Omniweb hacks that I can use for
>damage control.  Curious behavior: it supports background images on
>elements, but not the positioning of that background.  It also includes
>the nav in the main document flow even though it is specified as
>"position: absolute".  Most curious...
>
>----  20 minutes later ----
>
>Okay, I've done some research on its capabilities.  The following URL
>has a pretty good rundown of its abilities:
>http://macedition.com/cb/resources/macbrowsercsssupport.html
>
>I am inclined to entirely hide CSS from it much like is already done for
>Netscape 4-.  I don't think with that laundry list of CSS defects that I
>could get a reasonably good page rendering in it using just XHTML and CSS.
>
>Comments?

Hi Miles, hi list,
I don't have access to the logs of a live server, but as far as I
know, Omniweb and iCab are very very rarely used, I guess they will
be far below 1%. iCab might be a bit ahead, because it's longer on
the market. There is quite a lot of other browsers not mentioned till
now, what about them? In my opinion, it will be best, to provide
these at first with a very simple stylesheet covering only the
uppermost necessary. Later stylesheets for these can be added in
accending order. However as an first step I think, we should go for
the big ones: IE, Mozilla and Opera (not so big...)

Maybe the following site might be of any help for you figuring out
which browser are available and used
<http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/index.htm> .

>---- 30 minutes later ----
>
>I have posted the screenshots to my server.
>
>http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com/screenshots/20021121/mac_omniweb.jpg
>http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com/screenshots/20021121/mac_mozilla.jpg
>http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com/screenshots/20021121/mac_opera.pdf
>http://forrest.iguanacharlie.com/screenshots/20021121/mac_ie.pdf

Looks quite familliar to me ;-)

>The Mac IE 5 comes out fine (It should considering the amount of
>time I spent on it last night).  The Mozilla one looks fine.  A
>really nice thing about Mozilla is that it really does render the
>same on all platforms (minus platform font size differences and form
>widgets).
>
>The Opera screenshot has me a little concerned.  I don't have Opera
>and I don't have easy access to Macs.  Can anyone out there lend a
>hand with development in this case?  Or is Opera like Mozilla in
>that it is very consistent across platforms and I could just fix it
>in Windows and have it fixed on the Mac by association?

Actually I don't know much about page rendering done by Opera on the
Mac and the differencies to  other plattforms. But I can offer you to
check the pages (as done) and to tweak little stuff.

>Markus: what version of Opera were you using?

Opera V.5 (I think V.6 is in beta, will check that tomorrow)

--mv

--

Unglaublich, aber wahr: Dilbert lebt!