forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen ...@hist.umn.edu>
Subject Re: @apache web pages
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:20:58 GMT
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> I'd also like to get a central forrest generator set up.  I had thought
> daedalus was the proper
> place to do that, but perhaps cvs.apache.org is.
>
> I can hack forrest to provide this..  But What I need is:
>
> 1. A BSD spelunker with enough patience to get a copy of java 1.4
> running or MAYBE a copy of 1.3.1.
> Because Forrest doesn't work with 1.3.0
> (http://www.freeroller.net/page/acoliver/20021109#apache_forrest_free_bsd_and)...
> (I'm hoping it might work with 1.3.1)

I'll come out of lurking and just mention that java doesn't work in BSD, i
think versions later than 4.5-STABLE.  There's a problem with running
java as a non-root user, and it requires a kernel patch that I couldn't
get working for the life of me. Any java process run as root will work
fine.

Just something to look out for.  Last I checked, there was a bug filed but
it hadn't been patched yet.  Let me know if anybody wants more info on
this and I'll dig up more info about the bug.

HTH,

Tony

Tony Collen -- tc@socsci.umn.edu
College of Liberal Arts   University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank