forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:46:31 GMT
Hi - my two cents:

I like the iguancharlie layout. I think it degrades very nicely for Nav4.

You could put a hidden div at the top stating something like:
'the Forrest proj supports standards initiatives. The page layout was designed
in accordance with this. The browser you are using does not support CSS and
therefore you are seeing a degraded version, but all the relevant content is
available.'

nice job iguanacharlie!

The tableless layout is much easier to change into many different views. In
fact, I think the whole concept of how you use the word 'skins' leads to
confusion. You are saying the XSL is the skin when it is more like a skeleton or
actually a bag of bones. The CSS is the skin. XSL=structure, CSS=style. By going
tableless you get closer to the separation of concerns ideal where you can
change the entire layout just by dropping in a new CSS - no regeneration and
possibly solely in the hands of a designer (though I have yet to work with one
who can actually use the power of CSS).

best,
-Rob