forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Site versioning, staging and deployment ( was Re: documentation/content made available to sitemap (Re: 'broken link' causes..))
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:05:58 GMT
Hi,

content, pages and folders could have some status property to indicate their
current state (editorial, archive, static, etc). This could or could not be
observed by the build system to only build what is appropriate for the stage of
the project.

>    7) the automatic publishing system must run from the
>       destination site for security reasons: it will
>       _pull_ content from the generation site.

I would think that you *should* copy to the live site. The site should be
developed, tested, certified, then copied to 'live.'

When it is certified, it is like a gold master from CDROM days

Staging is nothing new - I did not come up this methodology - it is tried and
tested. I think it also shows your client/whoever-you-serve that you are taking
a professional approach to the project's development. It simplifies things a
great deal. You always are sure that only a certified site will be pushed live.

best,
-Rob