forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: on the SVG tool post from Betrand
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:00:59 GMT
Hi,

I am interested in SVG, but the OS tools are not there yet (read: very limited).
Most people would end up using the proprietary adobe plugin to view the SVG, so
why not use the proprietary macromedia plugin and view something that can be
extremely useful. Flash movies can use their communications server and get a
bunch of stuff out of the box:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashcom/download/components/

An excerpt:

---

7. Whiteboard
  The Whiteboard component lets you create and edit text, boxes, and lines in a
real-time shared environment. To create a shape, you select a tool and click the
Whiteboard area; you can also drag the shape to a new position or edit the text.
When you press the Delete key, all actively selected items are deleted.

---

All the data can be stored in XML to be fed through a stub flash app, or used
standalone or in a PDF to render SVG - when batik can do more than just simple
shapes and text. When I say the OS tools are not there yet, I mean I can't do
simple things like the following SVG (last time I checked - 2 months ago??):

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000802//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20000802/DTD/svg-20000802.dtd">
<svg width="108" height="108" xml:space="preserve">
   <g style="fill:khaki; stroke:khaki">
      <rect x="0" y="0" width="108" height="108"/>
      <rect x="24" y="24" width="56" height="56"
style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
      <rect x="16" y="37" width="30" height="32"
style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
      <rect x="60" y="37" width="30" height="14"
style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
      <rect x="58" y="68" width="22" height="22"
style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
   </g>
</svg>

This will render in Adobe's plugin, but not in Batik (and therefore FOP). (The
fill:none does not work).

best,
-Rob