forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:08:51 GMT

This is not my experience with skins. A skin only changes how it looks - it does
nothing to the underlying functionality.

> XSL gives you much more flexibility than CSS in this regard, and is the
> only solution for some skinning needs.
>
> Apart from the fact that server side XSL is still needed for a generic
> cinversion system, I agree that we should in any way incourage and tout
> the use of the forrest skin with custom CSS personalizations.
>
> Maybe it's a terminology issue, right?
>
> Now it's
> XSL+CSS=skin
> CSS= personalization
>
> But you say:
> CSS = skin

XSL = bones (and tendons, ligaments or maybe the tendons and ligaments are
business logic :)

If you drop a new CSS over the same XSL output you change the skin. Where does
the XSL come in?

> Right?

I guess it is a terminology issue, but I do believe skins have nothing to do
with functionality

best,
-Rob