forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:35:38 GMT
Howdy,

<snip/>
> > This is not my experience with skins. A skin only changes how it
> looks - it does
> > nothing to the underlying functionality.
>
> Look at the skins for Windows Media Player or AIM for example, they can
> reduce the overall functionality.

They do that by exposing or hiding things, just like you can with CSS. They do
not change how it works.

> For example also for Forrest, we have skins that put the author on to,
> on the botton, add or not the email, or even change the email from
> name@domain to nameATdomain for anti spamming.

These, to me, are configuration attributes for a folder that can be overrriden
at the page level. Then based on the value the XSL decides what to do.

> But I concede that the general perception of skin is about giving
> roughly the same stuff with a different appearance.
>
> Although I fail to see how your CSS-only skin would make the pages
> viewable on WAP, which I'm doing right now for some internal intranet pages.

I only have slight experience with WAP. It seems to me that the skin for a WAP
device is built in - you only send structure. I also think it is talking apples
and oranges - for WAP you need a different set of bones. Just as you can't use
(I think?) a winamp skin with AIM, you can't use an HTML browser skin for WAP.

<snip/>

> Then we can say it's a terminology issue.
>
> That said, I still need the possibility of specifying a set of XSLs that
> work on the output; one set would be the forrest system with the
> corresponding skins, one would be the ken-wap system, etc.
>
> What name do you propose?

?? bonesaw :) I guess I am just rambling so I will shut up now (don't all sigh
at once :)

-Rob