forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Forresbot WANTED
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:22:47 GMT
OK - Nicola and I had some private talk on this and apparently it has
been the classic case of misunderstanding, and a third person adding to
the confusion.

Nicola wants Forrest to a possible 'target' of a Gump profile (not sure
about the nomenclature), and use the delivery thing inside Gump to
publish both Forrest site generation results and other Gump-generated
resources. Fine with me.

Sam sees a new opportunity to create a new Gump instance somewhere and
jumps into the discussion.

I started thinking about the goals we are trying to achieve, and start
this rant about Gump scope creep, being overly protective about Forrest
& 'the machine', confusing what Nicola is trying to achieve (making Gump
& Forrest play together) with what I want (people not being afraid of
using the Forrestbot) and what Sam wants (intertwinglyness).

We somehow came to the conclusion that projects might require automated
site generation as being part of what Gump offers - Nicola will tackle
that inside Gump. Coolio!

OTOH, the Forrestbot will be there for projects who don't want Gump. If
people ask, I'll see what I can do w.r.t. a centralized Forrestbot
instance running on cocoondev.org, as was the case previously with the
instance at outerthought.net.

And maybe, we should come up with a solution for integrating non-Forrest
generated information inside Forrestbot runs, something I hinted long
time ago in the original 'forrestbot' proposal
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102262745114246&w=2).
Adding Javadoc generation wouldn't be too hard. Then again, I'm stuck
with the 'feeling' this isn't exactly in-scope for Forrest.

Clear skies! And sorry about the rant. I'll quickly grab my toothbrush
and move into the corner again.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org