forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forresbot WANTED
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:07:50 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>  > As Nicola Ken has said, profiles can be defined.  What I will
>  > volunteer to do (if there is interest) is to get the full profile
>  > running, which you can use as a starting point to narrow down as you
>  > see fit.

<explanations/>

Sorry if I stripped all your comments, but to comment inline it would be
too dispersive, so I'll try to summarize.

                                -oOo-

Forrestbot has its place as a standalone publishing bot, and it will
never need Gump to do it. Also for many cases Gump is overkill to setup
and use. This means that Forrestbot it has its place and that it will be
supported and used.

But there is a shortcoming: some projects need to create artifacts prior
to doc generation: currently the Forrestbot cannot do it, while Gump can.
Also there is an issue about delivering the site and the usage of
resources: using Forrest in Gump runs for Apache projects makes this
scenario all easier to set up.

Now, there always has been an overlap between Gump and Forrest.

Gump builds projects with the latest and greatest code, and can publish
artifacts of this. It's reasonable that Forrest can be used to create
some of these artifacts (documentation).

On the other hand Forrestbot builds sites, but cannot include easily
artifacts from project compilation (some kind of catch22).

Here are some things to consider (all non-exclusive):

1) Enhance Forrestbot by making a tag that enables it to run build
targets and scripts prior to doc generation. This will create the extra
stuff we need. In this way Forrestbot becomes a nightly build system,
and the forrest build becomes just one of the possible things that are
run on that code.

2) Enhance Forrest by making it able to mount resources from urls, so
that systems like Gump can publish the artifacts in Forrest format
somewhere and have the forrestbot pick them up.

3) Simply make projects that are Gumped use Forrest as a site generation
system and be able to publish the sites from the Gump run. These runs
differ from the Forrestbot ones because they are done without forcing
the latest code in compilation.

4) Make Gump build its site with Forrest instead of Anakia; this will
keep Gump artifacts separate but still skinned by Forrest. The
Forrestbot remains the same and publishes only the bare site.

Comments, suggestions, etc.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -