forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject OSS rant (was: Re: XXE editor support for Forrest (Fw: Re: forrest and xml catalogs))
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:44:08 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > BTW, Wyona seems to be talking about getting off from the OS
> > experience for now, since they found it unproductive :-(
>

> Ditto for Xopus.

<rant off-topic="true">

I'm not surprised. When will those companies learn? There is absolutely
no way and no reason for such companies to prosper with a such blind
Open Source strategy. What is the point in making a product Open Source
if there is no community around it? You just end up spending lots of
money/funds on developers while giving away your results for nothing
(possibly to no one or close to).

The whole point in Open Source (forget about the big guys who might
leverage marketing visibility and similar crap) is about collaboration
and community. We work together to produce good software on which we all
make a living by selling it as a product (quite lame but anyway...) or
as a set of services/consultancies. But the real point is "together": my
company, your company, her company, not just me. Open Source communities
are a precious resource when tought as a "shared" R&D department, for
companies that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it: my company
provides a couple of developers and gets the benefit of a lab of 50
people or so, we join a common effort with a relatively small amount of
resources and we all benefit from that. No small or mid-size company in
the world would have been able to put together software like the one
hosted by the ASF: think about Cocoon, where S&N, Otego, Outerthought,
Anyware and many others, together with individuals, enthousiasts and
some big company were able to put together a great product which turns
out to be a great asset for their business.

In the OSS world, talking about companies and not about individuals,
there is no room (again, big guys aside) for one-man shows: a single
company is unable to sustain itself on a single, self promoted and self
developed OSS, it just doesn't make sense. So Wyona, Q42 and many others
are doomed unless they make it in broadening the number of developers by
having an heterogeneous community around them. And they won't have it
unless it made clear that their effort will turn into a community effort
owned by no one but the community: I, as a developer, perfectly see a
reason on working on org.apache.*, much less on com.somecompany.*.

What would happen if Wyona chooses to step right into the Cocoon
community donating their code (provided, of course, that we are talking
about quality code that meets the interests of the community and that
the intention is not purely to dump stuff) and making it a core part of
a Cocoon based CMS? I would jump right away on that train, trying to
help as much as I can, and so would others (and so actually *did* others
with the S&N portal stuff). Most probably we would end up in a short
timeframe with a great CMS, done by several developers around the world,
tested, interoperable, well documented (oh well... maybe not *that* well
after all... :-)), with a great brand on it such as the Apache one, on
which many OSS companies, including Wyona would have been able to make
good money. We all win.

By joining (or creating, but it much more difficult) an healtful OSS
community you get great code, a good number of developers and marketing
for free (or almost). With one-man shows you're alone in the dark: good
luck, but please don't blame Open Source if you fail.

</rant>

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino