forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Under the Forrest skin
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:14:35 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 10:53:36AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>I've modified the Forrest skin for the new Krysalis site, and this is a
>>sneak preview of a page: http://www.krysalis.org/testdir/index.html
>>
>>Tell me what you think of it, comments welcome :-)
>

> Nice :)  I'm looking forward to trying beta 3.  From the commit logs,
> looks like Nick has been doing great work.
>

>>As for the skin itself I have recieved these suggestions for the Forrest
>>skin that I partially agree with (at least I do see the point), that are
>>important especially for projects used to the tigris layout:
>>
>>  - smaller font size seems better
>
> +0

Actually the next attached css file shows the difference. The result is
pleasant.

>>  - a narrower menu, leaving
>>    a wider main area, and less scrolling
>
> +1
>
>>  - section headings
>
> What about them?

I think they mean that they want-are used to- page-wide colored
headings. Something that divides sections in a more clear way.
We look more like a book, but that's not necessarily bad. Maybe we can
think up a possible Forrest configurable version of the
page-wide-colored headings concept.

>>  - The intra-page section anchors are nice,
>>    but not at the expense of everything else
>

> What does "at the expense of everything else" mean?

It reduces the vertical space of the page contents.
In one of Stefano's early mockups, these were "embedded" in the book
navigation at the right point, and it seems a logical place to put them;
or at least make them configurable.
Note also the font sizes.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/src/resources/layout/xml.apache.org/page.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -