forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on the DTD Deficiencies, a question and an attachment
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:39:05 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:18:55AM -0800, Carlos Araya wrote:

>>Please don't!!! That is a stylesheet's nightmare as it creates
>>recursive calls,
>

> Yes.. is that a problem?  They don't recurse forever.

>>cleaner to break the paragraph with the list and then start a brand new
>>paragraph rather than make the paragraph model largenr and potentially
>>circular.
>

> A paragraph is one "thought unit".  Frequently a list comprises the
> second half of a sentence (one thought), eg:

> Forrest is wonderful because
> <ul>
>   <li>blah..</li>
>   <li>blah..</li>
> </ul>
>
> Lists don't have to be rendered as blocks of indented text.  With
> appropriate CSS, that paragraph could be rendered in-line as "Forrest is
> wonderful because blah.., blah...".

The above I like. It's natural and common. IMHO a list is part of a
paragraph, not necessarilt a paragraph itself.

But I don't see a need not particularly like having paragraphs in list
elements.

These two things are not in discord and would not create recursive calls.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -