forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: more validation suckage..
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:25:52 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 15:31, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>>Easy, the only child element that is allowed inside <strong>
>>is <code>, i.e definitely not <anchor>
>>http://xml.apache.org/forrest/document-v11.dtdx.html#strong
>

> well, *that's* excessively lame.  what reason could there possibly
> be for such a restrictive list?  <strong><em> is, as an example, a
> very common construct..

I'm not necessarily OK with that, since it smells pretty much like
trying to bypass semantical markup practices.

What if a skin author decides <strong> should be translated to <font
color="red"> and <em> to <font color="green"> or tweak CSS for that
reason.... what is the connotation or the meaning of STRONGLY EMPHASIZED
inline text fragments...?

I know I'm putting on my robe of semantical markup wannabe guru here,
but we should do some thinking before adding infinite levels of tag
containment for mostly aesthetical purposes.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org