forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Huber <berni_hu...@a1.net>
Subject Re: build times
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:18:58 GMT
Hi,

Diana Shannon wrote:
> Having worked with a Forrest setup for Cocoon, I was wondering how we
> can decrease the build time. It took me (on OSX 10.1 JVM 1.3.1) 30
> minutes to build the docs statically. Removing the pdf links (which
> prevents pdf generation) still took  24 minutes. I realize build times
> are somewhat irrelevant for bots, but, I fear committers won't preview
> their doc changes if build times are so long.
>
> Is this all because of the Cocoon command line? Do we have any options?
> Or have I overlooked some important configuration detail (e.g.
> cocoon.xconf). Or perhaps a problem with my setup.

The poor performance you observed might be caused
by the CommandlineInterface of Cocoon.
For each document the CLI of Cocoon invokes
the Cocoon engine 3 time:
1. Get the content type of a document, directing
  the content of the document to NullOutputStream
2. Get the content of a document
3. Get the outbound links of a document

I submitted an Ant version of Cocoon into Cocoon's scratchpad
area. It skips step 1, as I measured it taks only half of
the time compared to the CLI version.
You might want to give it a try, i managed to
generate the Cocoon documentation successfully,
but i didn't applied it to the forrest docs, yet.

regards bernhard