forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skinconf.xml , single configuration point?
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:21:37 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 02:37:24PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>To reduce the number of files needed for forrest, I would propose to
>>move all forrest.properties under skinconf.xml, and that file be used in
>>Ant via XmlProperty.
>

> They don't configure the skin, should why should they be in skinconf?

skinconf -> forrestconf ?

>>This way we have only one configuration file.
>

> Then how about:
>  - merging forrest.properties into properties.xml

This I thought about before, but only this basically just moves the
problem from a properties file to another...

>  - merging skinconf.xml into module.xml
>
> Merging skinconf.xml and module.xml was always the plan, since they both
> contain generic project metadata.
>
> I don't reeeally see much benefit in merging skinconf and module though..

Actually I don't either, because the skinconf is (IMV based on Centipede
experience) both about metadata and build-properties, like the includes
and excludes.

> Advantage: we don't duplicate the <project-name/> in skinconf.xml with
> <project name="..."/> in module.xml

This is good...

> Disadvantage: we force module.xml on projects that may not want it

Actually it's not such a bad thing.
Maven can generate it automatically, and this could help Mavenized
projects to easily:

  1) use Forrest also standalone
  2) be ready for Gump

How about this then:
  * For project metadata like group, vendor, etc, we use module.xml
  * For Forrest properties, we put a reference in module.xml to the xml
    file that contains them, and in our case it can be properties.xml
    by default

Does this sound better?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -