forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status.xml versus separate files
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:15:29 GMT

Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 01:51  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Diana Shannon wrote:

>>> Remember, we use developer info elsewhere too, for example in fixme
>>> elements and in other todo/changes docs (e.g. related specifically to
>>> docs). See Cocoon's plan directory.
>>> We had this discussion on cocoon-dev earlier, and Stefano suggested
>>> having the dtd aggregate the committers list. Can that help?
>>

>> Errr, sorry Diana, but my brain is loosing language cycles and I don't
>> understand what you mean... can you please explain more in detail what
>> could be a solution? Thanks :-)
>

> No, **I'm** sorry, Ken. I was paraphrasing an email thread for which I
> simply should have provided links.
>
> Here's the original thread:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102312955715731&w=2

Ah, ok, now I understrand the concept better... but still I remain
ignorant on how to do it ;-(

> Perhaps we can transform the developer content out of the status.xml
> file to create a mod file (for other dtds) with an entity defined for
> all possible developer IDs (used as attributes in fixmes, for example).
> IMHO this is a **minor** priority, though.

Actually it's quite important that references to developers are valid.
But having to create a DTD for developers... hmmm... doesn't seem that nice.
Is there a way we can reference elements in other xml files from an id?

BTW, why not (as previously done and retracted ;-) use the unix names as
ids?
IE
   NKB -> nicolaken
   SM  -> stefano

etc?

It's more consistent and has been already suggested by some (off my head
IIRC PD, ahem I mean peter ;-)

>> Anyway, I've remembered two other reasons why I aggergated originally
>> todos and changes:
>>
>>  4) it's tipical to add a change and have to remove a todo, and
>>     if they are in the same file it's more possible that it's done;
>>     this is also why I put todos before changes, so I had to
>>     scroll them to get to the changes
>

> Makes a lot of sense.
>
>>  5) newbie users complained that with all these files in top-level
>>     cluttered the module, while if we put them in the docs, they
>>     are hard to find (seem strange but actually I had problems
>>     myself at teh beginning).
>

> Yes, and we have similar files (for doc-specific changes and todo) in
> Cocoon's xdocs/plan directory which are sometiems overlooked by some
> committers when updating or adding docs. Speaking of which, I added a
> status-docs.xml top-level file to my trial run of a Forrest transition
> for Cocoon. I'll post more today -- almost finished.

Some actually think that using commit messages to poplate the changes is
the best hing to do, but this breaks the todo->changes->compatbreaks
cycle introducing another way of inserting changes.

What I prefer doing is to put the changes in place and copy-paste the
xml snippet in the commit message.

>> This is not to say that status.xml has to remain as-is, but to try and
>> explain the design decisions that were taken, so that other solutions
>> can address them too.
>>
>> I'm still not sure I understand all the reasons why a single file is
>> not good... is it because it becomes too big?
>

> I certainly didn't mean to imply it wasn't "good" -- but, yes, that it
> would be big (in Cocoon's case).

Ok, I agree.

>> If so, it's basically because changes and issues will become very big,
>> and will also if they are separated, so I don't see in this case the
>> advantage in separating them.
>> Maybe making an "archive" file that contains all old entries could
>> help...
>>
>> <thinking-out-loud>
>>
>> maybe a ./history dir with all status files like they were at the time
>> of a minor version (>bigfix) release?
>>
>> So we would have
>>
>>   status_1.0.xml
>>   status_1.1.xml
>>   status_1.2.xml
>>   status_2.0.xml
>>   status_3.0.xml
>>   status_3.1.xml
>

> I like this idea. Really, though, I'm pretty agnostic about it. I just
> want to make sure the file is "inviting" to update, that's all. I just
> was wondering, out loud, if a large file may be less "inviting".

Good, then I think I understood it after all :-)

Seems that this solution (BTW, I read it from David's mails for the
history), is the best one, given all POVs and needs.

Where should we put the "history"?
Make a ./history folder, or simply rely on CVS to keep old versions of
the file?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -