forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with unified source directory
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:42:13 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> As you can see I'm making stuff up as I go.. a more coherent version of
>> this was intended to be the topic of a "Proposed Forrest Roadmap" email.
>> The only thing worth salvaging from this is that the current system _can_
>> be evolved to support use-cases like mixed content, without turning the
>> sitemap into a try-handle-anything mess.
>

> While I'm not sure whether your approach is the one to go for, I'm +100
> that we should try to avoid the try-catch resource-exists-action
> approach which, while supporting users in mixing clean and
> well-structured xdocs with static html (et al.) files, also encourages
> them to stick with these bad habits. It's a tummy-feeling decision, but
> resource-exists seems like a clear breach of SoC to me, especially if we
> need to set up a matcher for each and every mimetype.

Hmmm, break of SOC?
I'm a doc writer, I write in xdocs and sometimes have to include an html
file as-is that I've gotten somewhere else for a reference.

I suppose, as any other normal webserver user, that I can put them in th
esame dir.

Where's the messy part?

> A very stupid solution could be to isolate this messy part of the URI
> space to a clearly isolated part of that space, i.e.
> {protocol}:/{host}/{mount}/static/putyourfoobarwhereitbelongs,

I want this to be a possibility, but not necessarily mandated; as long
as both solutions are there, it will be ok.

As for the default, probably when we have a proposal, we should launch a
poll for our users and a RFC to cocoon-dev to see what hey think about it.

My feeling is that discussion on the "URI space - source space" is
really important and could impact on the future design of Cocoon.

> and have
> some SetMimeTypeAction which sets mimetype according to file extension
> (or even better: /etc/mime.types for OSes that care about mimetypes).

This big +1, IMHO it's really needed.

> Just my € 0.02,
>
> </Steven>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -