forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Problems with unified source directory
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:23:49 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> As you can see I'm making stuff up as I go.. a more coherent version of
> this was intended to be the topic of a "Proposed Forrest Roadmap" email.
> The only thing worth salvaging from this is that the current system _can_
> be evolved to support use-cases like mixed content, without turning the
> sitemap into a try-handle-anything mess.

While I'm not sure whether your approach is the one to go for, I'm +100
that we should try to avoid the try-catch resource-exists-action
approach which, while supporting users in mixing clean and
well-structured xdocs with static html (et al.) files, also encourages
them to stick with these bad habits. It's a tummy-feeling decision, but
resource-exists seems like a clear breach of SoC to me, especially if we
need to set up a matcher for each and every mimetype.

A very stupid solution could be to isolate this messy part of the URI
space to a clearly isolated part of that space, i.e.
{protocol}:/{host}/{mount}/static/putyourfoobarwhereitbelongs, and have
some SetMimeTypeAction which sets mimetype according to file extension
(or even better: /etc/mime.types for OSes that care about mimetypes).

Just my € 0.02,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org