forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:50:16 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:38:56PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:

>>So why would we want to let a browser loose on raw XML?
>
> Fun, conceptual neatness and lack of better things to do.

Actually, my view is that Cocoon essentially started as a hack to a
client problem. If all web browsers had xml+xsl+css, Cocoon wouldn't
probably have /started/.

Now, of course, Cocoon is much bigger and has become a webapp server,
even if some persist on ignorance in calling it an xml templating system.

The fact is that for a semantic web, all content should be saved and
served as conceptual xml. Thus the div tags are also "hacks".

And of course, bandwitdh need is greatly reduced, performance++, and
users can eventually apply their style or use the content as they wish:
the Web would be an information service system.

This is teh long term view, but the reality is that browsers are not all
there yet. If they ever will be totally.

So Cocoon should be used to deliver the right content to the right
client: xml+xsl+css to Mozilla and some IEs, html+css to others and do
the work for them for other clients like wap.

With conversions client side it's less bandwidth, less server load, more
clear data, easier searching, semantic web possibilities, faster browser
performance, etc.

The bottom line: nice idea, but yet impossible to realize on a single
web page style.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -